The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) has presented to the Ghana Investment Fund for Electronic Communications (GIFEC), a 2017 world champion award in ICT applications: E-environment category for its 112-public emergency response project during the World Summit on the Information Society Forum held in Geneva, Switzerland from the 12-16 June, 2017.
The award which was presented by Mr. Houlin Zhao the Secretary-General of ITU, and received on behalf of GIFEC by the Acting Administrator, Mr. Abraham Kofi Asante acknowledged the outstanding contribution of the organization towards strengthening the implementation of the WSIS outcomes in Ghana.
The event represents the world’s largest annual gathering of the ‘ICT for Development’ community and it is a global multi-stakeholder platform facilitating the implementation of the WSIS Action Lines for advancing sustainable development goals and targets. It also provides the opportunity for countries to share knowledge and best practices, while identifying emerging trends and fostering partnerships, taking into account the evolving Information and Knowledge Societies.
The Forum was co-organized by ITU, UNESCO, UNDP and UNCTAD, in close collaboration with other UN organizations and regional commissions.
- Poll: Despite mobile options and cord-cutting, sports fans still turn on the TV October 18, 2017
- Univision goes dark for Verizon's cable customers October 17, 2017
- Researchers defy the limits of streaming October 17, 2017
- Shares of TV providers drop as AT&T warns of video losses October 12, 2017
- Mathematicians model 5G mobile communications of the future October 10, 2017