The Hon. Minister of Communications, Mrs. Ursula Owusu-Ekuful has inaugurated a ten member Board of Trustees for the Ghana Investment Fund for Electronic Communications (GIFEC) at a ceremony in Accra.
The ten member Board of Trustees is made of the following persons:
- Hon. Mrs. Ursula Owusu-Ekuful – Minister (Chairperson)
- Hon. Kennedy Agyapong – Parliament
- Mr. Issa Yahaya – Ministry of Communication
- Mr. A. Kofi Asante – Ag. Administrator/CEO
- Mr. Joe Anokye – Ag. Director General (NCA)
- Mr. Ken Gomado – Vodafone
- Mr. William Tetteh – MTN
- Mr. Ernest Brown – Zipnet
- Mr. Emmanuel Adjei – Airtel
- Ms. Sylvia Owusu Ankomah – TIGO
The Board was sworn in by Mr. Justice George Boadi.
The Minister in her inaugural speech said, GIFEC was one of the important agencies under her Ministry. She tasked GIFEC to live up to its mandate as by law established and ensure that no community is left behind in its universal access programme.
The Hon. Minister tasked the Board to consider new areas of Information and communication technologies for development (ICT4D) like Software development, Projects Incubation and innovation to expand the scope of the operations of GIFEC.
She informed the Trustees that the Electronic Communications Act would be reviewed very soon to reflect the new mandate of GIFEC.
He called on GIFEC to collaborate with National Information Technology Agency (NITA) and tasked GIFEC to make use of the Broadband Infrastructure being deployed by NITA stressing that as we share our resources we would be able to extend our reach.
She said, she was happy with the mix of competences on the Board, and was very confident that they could provide the needed oversight for the management of GIFEC.
She congratulated the Trustees for being nominated to serve on the Board by their respective Mobile Network Operators (MNO’s).
On behalf of his colleagues, Mr. William Tetteh thanked the Minister and H.E the President for the honour done them.
- Democrats hope net neutrality issue will win votes this fall May 17, 2018
- How the death of voicemail is changing the way we connect May 16, 2018
- US Senate votes to restore 'net neutrality' rules May 16, 2018
- Senate Democrats push to reinstate 'net neutrality' rules May 16, 2018
- Emergency 911 technology struggles to keep up with the times May 16, 2018