Hon. Abraham Kofi Asante has been appointed acting Administrator for the Ghana Investment Fund for Electronic Communications (GIFEC). The former Member of Parliament, 58, becomes the third Administrator for the Fund, set-up to bridge the digital divide between the served and unserved/underserved communities in Ghana.
Hon. Asante, who was the first Administrator for the Fund, returns at the helm after eight years. He was introduced to the management staff of GIFEC by Mr. Issah Yahaya, the Chief Director of the Ministry of Communications, on behalf of the sector Minister Mrs. Ursula Owusu-Ekuful (MP). Hon. Asante expressed his appreciation to the team for the warm reception and pledged to work together as a team to achieve the results expected of them by the sector Ministry.
He pioneered the establishment of GIFEC, an investment arm of universal access to telecommunication to reach its full-fledged status, working closely with key telecommunication players to achieve the objective of the Fund.
His key achievements include his involvement in the preparation and chaperoning of the Electronic Communications bill into law, setting up the framework to ensure efficiency and effective usage of GIFEC’s funds for the provision of Common Telecommunication Facilities in rural communities nationwide.
The Administrator, regarded as an action man told management and staff of GIFEC that his vision was to lead the Fund to meet the mandate for which it was set up.
Until his appointment, Hon. Asante was the immediate past Administrator of the Graduate School of the Ghana Telecom University College, Ghana’s leading Telecommunications University responsible for developing transformational leaders in the IT industry in the West Africa Sub region. The legislation that strengthened the agency was promulgated in 2008 as the Electronic Communications Act 775, aimed at providing for electronic communications, broadcasting, and the use of the electro-magnetic spectrum and related facilities in Ghana.
- Ghana Wins ITU Council Seat Re-election Bid, Retains Seat After Fierce Contest
- GIFEC Supports Association of Disabled Students at UCC
- GIFEC honoured at 2018 ITU Telecom World
- Closing the Digital Divide Crucial to Ghana’s Socio-Economic Development – Ursula
- President Akufo-Addo Inaugurates Abenaso Rural Telephony Project
- EU to curb phone costs, set up emergency alert system November 14, 2018
- Nigerian ISP's configuration error disrupted Google services November 13, 2018
- Internet traffic hijack disrupts Google services November 13, 2018
- "Disney+" service a year away from streaming shows November 9, 2018
- Sprint ups mobile hotspot to 50GB, turns on faster 4G LTE network before 5G arrives in 2019 November 8, 2018